Valentine’s day is back, for the happiness of couples. We have found for you the most romantic ideas for Valentine’s day in Normandy. Gifts ideas, best restaurants and places to propose in Caen la mer. You will fall in love (again) !
The best places to propose
- At the top of the Ouistreham lighthouse
- Around the cloister of the Men abbey
- In front of the Mercy Church in Caen
- At the foot of the Cedar of Lebanon in d’Ornano Park
- At the top of the Caen Castle walls
- In the courtyard of the Escoville hotel
- In the secret backdrop of the old Thaon church
- At the observatory of the « pointe du siège » in Ouistreham
- In the stadium stands, during a match of football with the « Stade Malherbe de Caen »
- During a helicopter flight, over the Normandy beaches
And sure… during a sunset on the beaches
Gift ideas for lovers
- A wellness week-end in Calvados
- A romantic dinner in our beautiful gourmet restaurants
- A vanlife trip in Normandy
- A gourmet basket with all his/her favourites chocolates, gourmet products, cheese…
- A Calvados bottle from the year you meet
- A skincare or a massage at the « Thalasso de Ouistreham Riva-Bella »
- A seafood platter from the fish market of Ouistreham Riva-Bella
- A romantic night in the Bed & Breakfast « fifty shades » at « Votre Expérience Insolite »
- A horse ride on the beach
- A poster of the city where you proposed marriage
Favourite’s restaurants for the Valentine’s Day
Find the list of our partner restaurants here.
The destination of love
In Caen la mer, there is love in the air ! And with these anecdotes, you will not say otherwise:
- The most beautiful wedding hall in France is in Caen, in the heart of the Men abbey which houses the Town Hall.
- The frank and sincere love story between William the Conqueror and his wife Mathilde of Flanders who gave birth to two magnificent abbeys: the Men abbey and the Ladies abbey. More recently, in 2022, was inaugurated the only equestrian statue in the world representing a couple: this royal couple so dear to the city of Caen.
- Edith Piaf’s hymn to love still resonates in the Vaugueux district of Caen where her grandparents had a cafe in the last century. But also at the Villa Louis in Lion-sur-mer where the Môme stayed.
- Work of art such as « Le Mariage de la Vierge » (1504) or the collections of the author Marguerite Duras (1939-1999) are housed in the museum of fine arts of Caen and the IMEC – Ardenne abbey, respectively.
- Don’t forget that Caen is a Renaissance city, a period where sensuality and eroticism were not taboos. Many naughty sculptures are present throughout the city. Just look up.